Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Regarding a Certain Letter…

As some of you know, a while back I had written a letter to the president of Kansas City Art Institute regarding a two day lecture series that I found to be entirely inadequate. Up until now, I thought that the letter had gone largely ignored, except for the childish response of the director of the Foundations department, who was in charge of putting together the lectures. The fact that the letter, which was accompanied by a petition signed by many of my fellow students, had not made much of an impact did make me feel a bit like a failed Che, but I had gone as far as I was willing to go with it.

Today, I found out that I was mistaken in this impression. As it would turn out, shortly after my letter was sent, a meeting involving several members of the Foundations department and the dean of students was convened. At this gathering, they debated what the actual purpose of the "Career Days" lectures was and what it should be. Nothing has been decided yet, however, the idea was proposed to take the responsibility of planning these talks away from Mr. Ferguson (head of Foundations) and giving it to the Academic Resource Center.

While I am slightly saddened by the fact that I can now never be apart of my sister and brother in laws animated series, "Lazy Ches," (which airs on UPN next fall), I am more troubled by the fact that my new nick-name associates me with a Marxist. To avoid any confusion, let the record show that as far as this earth goes, I think Capitalism works because people are basically evil, and this form of government allows them to indulge their selfish hearts in a manner that has the potential to benefit others. As for the next Kingdom, I think that Communism headed by Christ will work out pretty well.

No comments: