Friday, December 8, 2006

Pride and Prejudice

I'm not a person who typically enjoys movies that fit into the genre of "chick flick." Nicolas Sparks makes me want to choke on my own vomit, and half an hour into "Titanic" I thought, "I hope this boat sinks quickly." However, there is one movie that has my heart: "Pride and Prejudice." Of course, as any true fan would now interject, the book is always better. I love how Jane Austin takes the reader through all of the waxing and waning of circumstances to deposit him or her into the arms of the conjugal felicity of Miss Bennit and Mr. Darcy.

I am so much in love with the marriage of the surreal humanity in the fantastic situations partnered with the mortal reactions of the characters, that I have even dreamt of wedding Mr. Darcy. Yet, as I tried to put myself in Elizabeth's shoes, I realize that they are a few sizes too large for me. When I place the portrait of my charactor next to hers, they are decidedly different. Having such terrible luck here, being unsuitable for the prince of Plummbery, I searched around the Bennit family to find my place in it.

The next hope was obviously Jane, but anyone who has met me and knows Jane would have told me not to waste my time trying to make the comparison. Quickly scanning the rest of the family, I find myself to be a hodgepodge of the less desirable characters unattractive traits. More dominantly, I find that I have been endowed with Mary's antisocial contemplative nature, and to temper that, I have Mr. Bennit's shrewd tongue. I also contain Mrs. Bennit's dramatic theatrics, along with Lydia's blind optimism, and because of all of this, I have Kitty's tallent of being left out.

Glancing at myself this way, I can find no better home than that of Mr. Whickham, but I do credit myself with better sense than that of Lydia. Things being as they are, even with as little some of you know me to think of certain specimens of the opposite sex, I don't think that any of them would be stupid enought to marry me. Oh, please, don't think of that statment as terrible depressing, because it just makes my life easier. This way, If one ever does ask me, it must be God's will.

On a completely unrelated note, regarding certain plans involving a classmate of mine, let's just call him Jake, it is all systems go. If you don't understand, you have nothing to worry about.

No comments: