Monday, December 4, 2006

Finals Week: Art School Style

There are certain perks to being in art school. One of them happens to be that finals week, although stressful, is a lot more fun than at a regular four-year school. You see, our semesters end with a grand show which spans the entire campus. Everyone is required to be exhibited, because for most departments, it is a part of the student's final grade. The show opens on Friday and runs all weekend long.

Even though I am terribly excited for my first art show (for those of you who know about the one I participated in durring high school, that one doesn't count), the road to this event is decidedly up-hill. First off, making good art is costly. The supplies for my project ran me around seventy dollars, and I know plenty of my fellow classmen have spent upwards of one hundred dollars. Second, the path to the finnished project is riddled with unforeseeable obsticals. Often, these things come at the most inconvenient times, such as today.

In art, it often happens that one minute, the piece that you are working on seems to be coming along swimmingly, but the next, one of these glitches comes up, and you realize that you are in the bottom of a well. On Sunday, I was swimming along. I had the pieces of my project made and all I had left was to assemble them. Now, on Monday, I am in the bottom of a well. The pieces that I built did not fit together as they ought to, and because of that, I have to make new pieces that will hopefully allow the old ones to adapt to one another.

The other great strugle for the artist, is that art takes time. So, when it happens that a whole new set of problems arise in the face of a deadline just two days away, coupled with the demands of a writing class just one day away, the artist cannot help feeling insecure or maybe even a pang of terror. It is at these times that an artist would appreciate the prayers of others more than anything.

As for now, with God's help, I can pull it off. I'm still greatly anticipating the show this weekend, and would love to see many of my friends attend it. Until then, I am a slave to my studio.

No comments: