Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Sculpture it is!

I have finally decided: I will major in Sculpture. Reaching this conclusion was a long and tedious battle between ceramics and sculpture, but the department visits which I participated in today made it final.

I can hardly wait to enter this department, but I know that it will not be easy. An example of the difficulty of this major is made clear in the Sophomore Program Syllabus which I received today. In the class called “Materials and Processes,” taken in the fall semester, the first assignment is to re-invent the wheel. No joke.

True, this will be a lot of work, but it will also be a lot of fun, and I will come out of it with some mad skills. By the end of my sophomore year, I will be able to cold and hot cast, and use materials ranging from latex to bronze.

The only problem that I can see between the department and I, is that the sculpture building is made of brick and cement, so it gets cold in the winter, really cold. But, hey, if it gets to be a bit too much, then I’ll just have to do a hot cast or oxy welding or some other really cool thing that sculptors do with fire.

4 comments:

well,blue productions said...

Way to go skiddles.

Fairing Well said...

i told scott about this and he is REALLY excited for you...wants to chat more about it soon!
congrats!!!
caroline

Amy said...

Hey, I just followed you over here from Char's blog. It's so fun to hear how you're doing, sweetie! And I could soooooo see you in sculpture. Really, I don't think you'll have any trouble reinventing the wheel...or playing with fire. Have fun!

Amy

Fairing Well said...

Hey, I got your comment about Rick. Send me your email and I'll write you more about it then.