Saturday, April 21, 2007

A Little Story from when I was Little

Since there really isn’t anything very interesting going on in my life right now that I could share with you, here is a little something from years gone past. Not only is it cute, but is also speaks to my current vocation. I hope that you enjoy it.

So, I was somewhere between ages seven and nine, when I was obsessed with building blocks. Having just come out of my Lincoln Log period, I loved to build towers, as high as I could make them, with elaborate bases for imaginary people to enter through.

It so happened that I was home alone. My father was at work, and the rest of the family was off grocery shopping or something else like that, while I was hard at play in the living room, making what I hoped to be my largest tower yet. I realized that this would require a large base, and after building that, I came to the halting realization that our home suffered from a terrible shortage of wooden building blocks.

I sat there, distressed over my half-built tower and wondering what to do, when my gaze was turned to the entertainment center, packed full of VHS movies. It did not take me long to understand that a VHS is nothing more than a plastic building block.

Quickly, I was at work again. I had unsheathed every single movie in our collection and placed them, one on top of the other, until it was, indeed, the largest tower my home had ever known. I was quite in raptures by the sight of it and could not wait for my mother to come home so that she could also know this joy as well.

Shortly, my mother was there, and when she saw the tower, surely her emotions were as at least as strong as mine were, but not of the same nature. I evaded a swat on the butt, however, I was ordered to immediately disassemble the tower and place all of the videos back into there proper cases. It was a sad disassemble-age, but I still carry the pride form that tower of innovation. My only wish is that I would have documented that work.

2 comments:

well,blue productions said...

Don't worry, I still carry the memory of your tower of doom Skid, yay even more so I carry the memory of mom's face when she saw it, it was awesome.

Katherine said...

Oh, it's good to know that someone else remembers.

I must say, "tower of doom" seems a little dark. I thought that it was a bold and enlightening new thought for the material, so I prefer the term "tower of innovation." That might even be the title...or just overly dramtic...you pick.