Thursday, April 26, 2007

Housing Hell or Wonderful Opportunity?




Shockingly, this is not a post about my life in the dorms.

Before last week, I had plans to live with a wonderful young lady next school year. This week, the young lady, who is still wonderful, informed me that she has decided to live alone next year. The picture above describes where this leaves me. Paddle-less.

This would not be so bad if it were not so late in the year. All of my friends, plus everyone else that I have spoken with so far, already have their housing plans for the coming school year. This leaves me more or less on my own.

I have been hunting up and down, but so far, nothing looks promising. The only studio/one bedroom apartments in the area are on or dangerously close to Troost, and since rape and murder are not on my experiential “to do” list, I think that I’ll pass on those. Currently, my only opportunity is a two-bedroom duplex that I would have to start paying rent on in June. Rent in $750 a month. This means that I would pay $1500 just for the two months that I don’t live in it during the summer, being that I don’t (and, chances are, won’t) have a roommate.

These being the circumstances, the most economic thing to do (at least as far as I can see), is as follows: take the $1500 that I would have used for rent over the summer and buy a used car that gets good gas mileage, and that I will, God willing, use for far more than two months (hopefully several years). I would then use this car to commute from school to my home at IHOP, just twenty minutes away, where the rent is so much cheaper that it will make up for the extra expense of gas and insurance.

I must admit that this thought is a little romanticized by the idea of being so close to the Prayer Room. Having spent last night with Char and Jesse, I was in the Prayer Room both last night and this morning, and it was truly refreshing. Plus, there would be the possibility of being able to pick up a couple of shifts a week at the bookstore if I beg well enough. After all, it is the most wonderful job that I could imagine myself having right now (that was both sincere and begging).

If anyone else has an idea that they feel is superior to the one above, I should hope that they would feel free to express it. I’m confident that God will take care of me, and direct me in the way that I should go, but as for now, either I am hard of hearing or He is not speaking about it at the moment. If you think of it, please throw up a few prayers for my situation, so that my living situation next year doesn’t look like the picture blow.



OK, so that is overly dramatic, but that seems to be a theme here at the blog…

3 comments:

Amy said...

Aw, Kathy, I'm sorry. In my experience, which may or may not be useful or informative right now, whenever plans like this fall through you know God has a better plan. I dunno what that is right now, but I will pray, and I'll be looking for the answer. (((hugs))) ...personally I'd be happy living next to a prayer room...

Amy

well,blue productions said...

Maybe you could work, if you didn't beg like that...that's pretty embarassing don't you think?

Katherine said...

Not when it's sincere begging.